Online Communications and Development Strategist
MassINC is a 19 year old nonprofit think tank and publisher of CommonWealth
, a magazine of ideas and politics. MassINC is respected for our non-partisan research that moves ideas to public policy through civic engagement. CommonWealth is known for its independent civic journalism that pushes for government transparency and best practices in governance and public policy. Our mission is to promote policy, practice and an open democracy that support the growth of a vibrant middle class. Our focus is on all of Massachusetts- not just metro Boston- with a special focus on Massachusetts’ “Gateway Cities”. Those cities like Lawrence and New Bedford that have historically been a gateway to the middle class for generations of residents. To help support this work we founded the Gateway Cities Innovation Institute. We look nationally and globally for best practices to support our mission.
You are a smart self-starter with strong writing, communications, and social media skills who can support both online news publications and a research think tank. You enjoy working in a collaborative environment. Your thirst for knowledge and growth means that big ideas and even bigger challenges excite you. You have a demonstrated interest in the connection between journalism and public policy. You are a fast learner and enjoy taking initiative. Your resourcefulness, communication skills, and detail orientation are matched only by your sense of humor. You work well both individually and as a member of a team and are excited by the idea of working for an entrepreneurial, established and respected organization. Working as a member of a small but mighty team, you will be an integral part of building our organizational brand, increasing the visibility of our work, and helping expand our set of partners and funders.
- Support efforts to build MassINC and CommonWealth
magazine’s brand and increase visibility by:
• Designing and editing digital communications, including press releases, infographics, event invitations, and e-newsletters;
• Maintaining our website, including basic technical updates, drafting and coordinating regular content updates, and website and search engine optimization;
• Developing and implementing a social media strategy that spans blogs, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and LinkedIn;
• Writing blog posts and curating content for additional posts from internal and external partners; and
- Support the communications needs of project teams by:
• Identifying new trends in communications/media and proposing ways for MassINC and CommonWealth
to leverage those trends.
• Managing graphic design needs across all teams;
• Managing MassINC and CommonWealth
’s CRM system (Salesforce) to track subscribers, funders, and other stakeholders; and
• Managing logistics for events with internal and external stakeholders.
• Stay informed of all research, journalism and civic event initiatives in order to advise and implement timely social media strategies.
- Support the fundraising and development team by:
• Drafting and coordinating content for grant applications;
• Managing deadlines for grant reports and updates
Requisite Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor's Degree preferred
• At least 2-3 years' work experience: in digital media, marketing, communications, and/or fundraising strongly preferred
• Working knowledge of website tools and software, including HTML and WordPress
• Experience with graphic design software, including Adobe Photoshop
• Knowledge of and/or willingness to learn email broadcasting tools, including Constant Contact
• Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills
• An entrepreneurial mindset (i.e. flexible, resourceful, and creative) and deep motivation to drive towards high-quality outcomes
• Must demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of social media strategy and its interaction with organizations ongoing activities.
• Proven track record of taking initiative on multi-step projects and ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced and environment
• Strong online research skills: experience with CRMs (e.g. Salesforce) and development search tools (e.g. Associated Grant Makers) preferred
• Must be passionate about the mission of MassINC and CommonWealth magazine (political junkies welcome).
This is a full-time position based in Boston. Salary is commensurate with experience, and we offer a generous benefits package including health, dental, FSA, and 401k with employer match.
How to apply
Interested and qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
and cc firstname.lastname@example.org
. Applications must include a cover letter in order to be considered. Please include "Application for Online Communications and Development Strategist, MassINC" in the subject line of the e-mail.
Research Intern - Summer 2015
MassINC's research program seeks interns to assist with a variety of projects. Undergraduates, graduate students, and recent graduates may apply. Applications from students working on theses or policy exercises related to MassINC's current research are especially encouraged. The internship is unpaid. Candidates should have a strong interest in pursuing a career in public policy and some familiarity with MassINC's core issues. Excellent writing skills are a must, as well as solid research skills, and a strong desire to learn.
Strong interest in public policy and politics is required. Must be able to work independently. This is a part-time internship - we ask for a commitment of 12-20 hours per week.
If you are interested in applying for this position please send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com